Sunday, December 07, 2008

Need Some Knitting Advice


I'm making this hat that's going to be felted. It's knit in-the-round with color changes. (See my blog post for September 28 for picture) I very carefully measured how long I would need each piece of color so there wouldn't be long strands on the inside. So, now I'm on the second row of color and, because of knitting in the round, the piece of the yarn I need to work with is on the wrong end of the area.

Because of the size of the color blocks in this pattern, it should be done as intarsia, not fair isle. I really don't want to have to measure out a piece of yarn for just a few stitches in each color block on each row!

This is supposed to be a Christmas gift, but that means finishing it some time this month. I don't now if that's going to be able to happen now. I'd rather be working on my black sock.

I'm hoping some knitter out there who has intarsia, in-the-round, to-be-felted experience will read this and help me know what to do.

1 comment:

Ash said...

Your pieces of string will have to be a bit longer, but try twisting the yarn around the main color at the end, and then bring it back to the start, twist, and begin knitting. (The twisting is so you don't have any holes there.)

Yes, that will leave the draping in the inside, but it'll at least be there.

Or, You might have to short row that section. Purl it back to the beginning on the inside and drape the MC across the purled stitches. That might actually be better than my original idea. I can see that working in my head.