Friday, January 18, 2008

Tweed Beret

I decided to try to make this tweed beret from Interweave Knits Winter 2006. Mine will not be tweed, however. I'm using white Berroco Love it. I started with dpns size 7, then went to a 16" circular. Now I'm on an 18" circular and could probably go up again; I just don't feel like it. This makes it difficult to try on the hat to see if it fits, so I'm just trusting the process.

I really like the idea of hats. I don't wear them very often, though. The Kansas wind likes to rip hats off heads. I'm uncomfortable with an under-the-chin tie. It could be a good idea, but I feel like I'm a little too old for that look. I have a black felted hat that I made last year, but I haven't worn it at all yet this year. I don't like how it makes my hair look after I take it off. So, here I am making another hat that I might not wear. What's the deal?

Could it be that hats are smaller and faster than sweaters and easier to make fit? Could I be frustrated with the sweater-making process? I wonder . . . I had just gotten started on re-knitting Wright when I decided I just HAD to knit a hat. Go figure.

1 comment:

Princessliak said...

I do the same thing. I seem to start the majority of my projects right after I case on something big!