Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sock Books


I went out for breakfast this morning. When I got home, I just didn't know what I wanted to do. It's not like I don't have enough things to do--there's always housework! and knitting and beading--I just couldn't decide which I wanted to do at the moment. So, I checked my budget and decided I could go looking for the Sensational Knitted socks book. I had a coupon for Jo-Ann and a coupon for Border's. I went to Jo-Ann first since it's closer. They didn't have the Sensational book, but I found Knit Socks! It looked good and I wanted to use my coupon.
Then, I went to Border's. They did have the Sensational book. I needed a cup of coffee, plus I had a coupon for a free dessert, so I got a cinnamon roll and coffee and started reading. Oh, did I mention that I also picked up my favorite knitting magazine? Simply Knitting from the U.K. And this month it comes with a free magnetic needle case. I'm not sure why this is my favorite mag; I've never made anything out of it. Maybe it's just all those pretty pictures.
So, I'm all set for sock knitting, except I might need to buy some more dpn's. I read somewhere the suggestion for knitting two socks at the same time on dpn's, section by section. That might work for me.
I think my next step might be to make the Class (mini) sock from the Sensational Knitted Socks book in all of the methods. Then I can pick my favorite method and plan carefully my first actual pair of socks. That means I might just rip out the two I've already started. Yikes!

4 comments:

Lanora said...

I have to agree. I find that knitting two socks at a time by section helps beat the boredom and Second Sock Syndrome.

Laura said...

Rip Gwen Rip! :D

I'm glad you decided to treat yourself with the knitting books. I've used SKS a lot for reference and help in knitting other patterns. Yay for sock knitting!! hehe

Lara said...

I think SKS is a great sock book. Good choice!

Gwen said...

I am glad that I got SKS. It's full of such good info. I haven't ripped out the other two starts yet . . . but I have started the litle sample sock. And then yesterday, I got distracted with Cindy for a little bit.