Thursday, March 08, 2007

Lunchtime Shopping


I decided to go to Hobby Lobby at lunch today. I wanted to get some more double-pointed needles. I've been looking at different sock patterns. Some call for a set of 4 needles and some call for a set of 5. Some call for size 2 and some call for size 3. I already had a set of four size 2 dp's, so I decided I wanted to buy another one plus two sets of size 3's, four each, so that I would have plenty of needles. They only had one size 3 set left, so I got it and the size 2 I needed.
Fortunately, I planned ahead and had printed my Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon. I wanted to get some sort of sock knitting book, but I didn't see any. So, I got this Modular Knits book instead. I got to pay 10.77 (plus tax) rather than 17.95.
This is crazy, but I remember that there was some pattern in the book that caused me to want it, but I can't remember what it was right now. I left the book in my car, so I wouldn't be tempted to read it instead of working this afternoon.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Gwen! I'd be interested to know what pattern appealed to you in that book! I've been having terrible luck finding good knitting books at Hobby Lobby - which one did you go to?

For sock knitting, there are a TON of free sock patterns on the internet - I could give you some good links if you would like. One book that I highly recommend is Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch. It's perfect for beginning sock knitters and can be found at B&N, Borders, or Amazon. Maybe even Overstock.com.

Gwen said...

Laura, it is a pillow pattern. It has buttons on the back. I much prefer pillow covers (for my couch) that can be removed and washed when necessary.

I was a the North Woodlawn Hobby Lobby. You're right; they have very few knitting books.

I have Sensational Knitted Socks on my wish list. Thank you for affirming it's value for me.

Laura said...

I'm bringing Sensational Knitted Socks to Panera in the morning so you can look through it if you would like. I've also got the yarn and knit up a swatch with it tonight. I think it looks great but it might not be what you have in mind. Hope to see you Saturday morning! :)