Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Wright is Wrong

It happens again. I knit a sweater that doesn't fit. I finished knitting it last night and worked on seaming it this morning. I was so looking forward to wearing it to a family gathering this evening. I am so disappointed. I was even in a bad mood at Twist. I should be working on the other glove, but I didn't feel like it. So, I took a sock to work on, that I haven't touched in a couple of months.
Before I left this morning, I got out Cindy and measured the finished bust: 41. Wright is 50.5. How did I let this happen?! I guess I didn't do a gauge swatch. It's been long enough, I don't remember and I don't feel like looking at my notes. I need something with about a 46" finished size. grumble grumble grumble
I debated what to do. I briefly considered trying to sell it, but the cost of the yarn is probably too much and, even though the quality of the knitting is pretty good, there are a few places where you can tell where the ends were woven in. So, I guess it will be frogged. I won't make the same pattern again because I decided that I don't like it. I will now need to find another pattern. I would like that, with all the books and magazines I have, I would already have a suitable pattern, but NO . . . And I'm wondering if I don't need to knit something top down so I can try to make sure it fits!!!
I did some therapy shopping, thinking I would find another blouse or top so that I can wear something new tonight. I didn't. I did, however, find several pieces of clothing for work.




3 comments:

rkyarns said...

I like it!! Maybe I can try it on. It might fit while wearing an undershirt. I feel bad for you Gwen. And you know I would play you for the yarn!!

Lanora said...

It's just part of the adventure. I can't bring myself to make 4" swatches to I just do about an 1 and 1/2 to make my own "gauge" measurement. You can always use the yarn for a better project!

Laura said...

Gwen I feel your pain. I really do. This is what has happened to me with the two sweaters I have made for myself. The second was a true disaster - it looks like a freagin blue fur coat. It's awful. What yarn is this? Can you frog it and use the yarn for something else? Surely you can.